The Company was founded in 1900, when August Horch, the founder of the Cologne Company August Horch & Cie, built his first two-cylinder car. During his previous job in a company of Karl Benz, he could not find implementation for many of interesting technical findings, and organizing his own company, Horch began to embody his ideas.
By combining the talents of a businessman and entrepreneur, he is very successfully used the latest technological solutions of the time, and since then the custom engineering approach to solving complex problems is a hallmark of the company. The thirties were in serious research - in Germany were first carried out a car crash tests on the system, corresponding to modern standards. Saxon engineers have received more than 3,000 patents for the development. Cars were checked for side and frontal impact, as well as to the coup.
Having survived the war and deploying large-scale production during the "German economic miracle," the Horch's company was not ready for the stagnation of the sixties and was acquired by Volkswagen Group in 1964. And in 1985 the company finally cut its full name - from AUDI NSU AUTO UNION AG to well-known AUDI AG.